From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 13:36:43
1 On 3/21/2014 5:57 PM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > How does one send email to*THIS* list, without being subscribed in
3 > the first place? A bugzilla mailing list is a different matter.
4
5 I think that is the main and primary point.
6
7 I loathe lists that allow posts from non subscribers (<spit>libreoffice
8 users</spit>), because it creates this exact problem.
9
10 But in those cases, it should be on those who wish to leech (ask
11 questions/get help from the list without having to subscribe) to
12 proactively get their answers, by reading the archives on the web, etc.
13
14 The burden absolutely should NEVER be on the list participants to try to
15 figure out who needs to be individually CC'd on replies and who doesn't.
16
17 Of course, if someone asks a question on such a list, and they
18 specifically mention they are not subscribed and ask to be directly
19 CC'd, then that is the one case when doing so is ok. But to blindly do
20 this to everyone on the list just to insure that your oh-so-valuable
21 reply makes it to the OP is just the height of arrogance and conceit.