From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] - What SATA CD-R/DVD-R drive manufacturer to buy?
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 18:30:00
1 On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 9:23 AM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 10:43 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 7:38 AM, Paul Hartman
5 >> <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >>> On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 2:25 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >>>> Hi,
8 >>>>  My 5-year old gentoo-AMD64 machine when up in smoke this week so I'm
9 >>>> building a new machine. Most parts are on order but one big change
10 >>>> these days is the motherboards I want to purchase no longer support
11 >>>> EIDE/ATAPI interfaces so I'll have to get a new CD-R/DVD-R drive to
12 >>>> get the OS loaded and for writing mostly audio discs using
13 >>>> cdda2wav/cdrecord. While I understand firmware is often a problem on
14 >>>> these drives I'm wondering what drive manufacturers folks would
15 >>>> recommend these days as having the best results with cdrecord?
16 >>>
17 >>> I have a cheap Sony Optiarc (formerly NEC?) and it has worked fine for
18 >>> me for ripping and burning audio CDs, DVD+/-R (single and dual layer).
19 >>> It cost around $25 USD. I don't know if it is better or worse than any
20 >>> other brand but it seems to work for me anyway.
21 >>>
22 >>
23 >> I just ordered an OptiArc 7240S from NewEgg this morning on a similar
24 >> recommendation from the cdrtools list.
25 >>
26 >> Just curious - have you attempted any firmware upgrades from within
27 >> Linux? Have you tried (or do you know about) the Liggy and Dee
28 >> firmware?
29 >
30 > I've got AW-G170S and cannot remember if I've done a firmware update
31 > on it. I think Sony only release a Windows-based firmware installer
32 > but I'm not sure how the third-party ones work.
33 >
34 > I have read about the modified firmwares to change burn strategy,
35 > enable bitsetting (make a DVD-R look like a DVD-ROM to fool devices
36 > that refuse to play burned discs) etc but I haven't personally had a
37 > need to use it.
38
39 I don't expect I will either. I was just curious as to your experience
40 if you had.
41
42 The drive is on order and hopefully new parts get here Wednesday or
43 Thursday so hopefully I'll be running Gentoo on my new i5-661 by the
44 weekend.
45
46 Thanks for your inputs.
47