From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] - What SATA CD-R/DVD-R drive manufacturer to buy?
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 17:23:54
1 On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 10:43 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 7:38 AM, Paul Hartman
3 > <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 2:25 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>> Hi,
6 >>> My 5-year old gentoo-AMD64 machine when up in smoke this week so I'm
7 >>> building a new machine. Most parts are on order but one big change
8 >>> these days is the motherboards I want to purchase no longer support
9 >>> EIDE/ATAPI interfaces so I'll have to get a new CD-R/DVD-R drive to
10 >>> get the OS loaded and for writing mostly audio discs using
11 >>> cdda2wav/cdrecord. While I understand firmware is often a problem on
12 >>> these drives I'm wondering what drive manufacturers folks would
13 >>> recommend these days as having the best results with cdrecord?
14 >>
15 >> I have a cheap Sony Optiarc (formerly NEC?) and it has worked fine for
16 >> me for ripping and burning audio CDs, DVD+/-R (single and dual layer).
17 >> It cost around $25 USD. I don't know if it is better or worse than any
18 >> other brand but it seems to work for me anyway.
21 > I just ordered an OptiArc 7240S from NewEgg this morning on a similar
22 > recommendation from the cdrtools list.
23 >
24 > Just curious - have you attempted any firmware upgrades from within
25 > Linux? Have you tried (or do you know about) the Liggy and Dee
26 > firmware?
27
28 I've got AW-G170S and cannot remember if I've done a firmware update
29 on it. I think Sony only release a Windows-based firmware installer
30 but I'm not sure how the third-party ones work.
31
32 I have read about the modified firmwares to change burn strategy,
33 enable bitsetting (make a DVD-R look like a DVD-ROM to fool devices
34 that refuse to play burned discs) etc but I haven't personally had a
35 need to use it.