From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] - What SATA CD-R/DVD-R drive manufacturer to buy?
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 16:43:49
1 On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 7:38 AM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 2:25 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> Hi,
5 >>  My 5-year old gentoo-AMD64 machine when up in smoke this week so I'm
6 >> building a new machine. Most parts are on order but one big change
7 >> these days is the motherboards I want to purchase no longer support
8 >> EIDE/ATAPI interfaces so I'll have to get a new CD-R/DVD-R drive to
9 >> get the OS loaded and for writing mostly audio discs using
10 >> cdda2wav/cdrecord. While I understand firmware is often a problem on
11 >> these drives I'm wondering what drive manufacturers folks would
12 >> recommend these days as having the best results with cdrecord?
13 >
14 > I have a cheap Sony Optiarc (formerly NEC?) and it has worked fine for
15 > me for ripping and burning audio CDs, DVD+/-R (single and dual layer).
16 > It cost around $25 USD. I don't know if it is better or worse than any
17 > other brand but it seems to work for me anyway.
20 I just ordered an OptiArc 7240S from NewEgg this morning on a similar
21 recommendation from the cdrtools list.
22
23 Just curious - have you attempted any firmware upgrades from within
24 Linux? Have you tried (or do you know about) the Liggy and Dee
25 firmware?
26
27 Thanks for the info.
28