From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: FYI: Daily / weekly / monthly cron jobs run twice on DST - non-DST transition
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2017 23:11:54
1 On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 10:45 AM, Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On 2017-11-05 17:17, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >
4 >> Distros will always have to do integration work, and that is fine.
5 >> That is the role of a distro. And sometimes distros have to roll
6 >> their own tools when they just aren't available. Once upon a time
7 >> service managers fell into that category. Now this is less the case.
8 >
9 > What's a service manager?
10
11 Easiest way to explain it is to give examples. Openrc, systemd,
12 runit, and upstart are all service managers. I'd argue that sysvinit
13 is also a service manager but nobody really uses it as one unless you
14 count getty as a service.
15
16 A service manager is a program used to manage the daemons running on a system.
17
18 > Is making cron care about missed jobs service
19 > management, but running daily/weekly/monthly jobs isn't?
20
21 Cron is generally not considered a service manager though there is
22 some overlap since it does manage jobs. I wouldn't make any
23 distinction in this regard to how it handles missed jobs. Those are
24 just features that a cron implementation can have or lack.
25
26 It is like arguing about whether sh, dash, or bash are shells on the
27 basis of the features they provide. They're all shells, but at the
28 same time we can acknowledge that they have different feature sets.
31 Rich