From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: FYI: Daily / weekly / monthly cron jobs run twice on DST - non-DST transition
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2017 15:46:01
1 On 2017-11-05 17:17, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > Distros will always have to do integration work, and that is fine.
4 > That is the role of a distro. And sometimes distros have to roll
5 > their own tools when they just aren't available. Once upon a time
6 > service managers fell into that category. Now this is less the case.
7
8 What's a service manager? Is making cron care about missed jobs service
9 management, but running daily/weekly/monthly jobs isn't? I'd find such
10 a distinction quite tenuous.
11
12 > There is of course nothing wrong if people want to implement things.
13 > I just tend to prefer to stick with stuff that has an upstream that is
14 > bigger than one distro.
15
16 Well that's another thing. I will tend to agree when upstream is an
17 independent project. But here the development seems to be driven 99% by
18 RedHat. Look at the ChangeLog.
19
20 I know of another project that's bigger than a distro ... now that it
21 forced its way into all the others.
22
23 And now I really shut up!
26 Please don't Cc: me privately on mailing lists and Usenet,
27 if you also post the followup to the list or newsgroup.
28 To reply privately _only_ on Usenet, fetch the TXT record for the domain.