From: michael@×××××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Lightwheight Gentoo System
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 15:50:53
1 i use xubuntu on an old laptop, and it's quite snappy.
2
3 although i'm sure you could get snappier results with gentoo
7 On Thu, 12 Oct 2006, Karl Huysmans wrote:
8
9 > Hi All,
10 >
11 > A friend asked me to install "some" operating system on an old Dell laptop
12 > he got for free.
13 >
14 > The laptop has a pentium 2 400 MHz, 6 GB HD and 256 MB RAM, and will be used
15 > by his young children.
16 >
17 > I have tried to install Edubuntu on it, looks nice, has a lot of very
18 > usefull stuff for kids, but it really runs too slow on this machine.
19 >
20 > So I was thinking Gentoo, optimized for PII, I guess -Os would be a good
21 > option for this little machine. Any thoughts anyone?
22 >
23 > What about the desktop? I guess Gnome or KDE is not really the best choice.
24 > But what else could I use? Of course, it's for kids, so I have to be able to
25 > make it look nice :-) What would be a good window manager? File manager?
26 > Other applications that help to keep it lean an fast?
27 >
28 > Anyone with any experience building such a system under Gentoo?
29 >
30 > Thank you
31 >
32 > Karl