From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fw: updating /etc/package.accept_keywords
Date: Thu, 30 May 2019 12:21:08
1 On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 7:58 AM Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > There's also cfg-update and there may be more tools to manage changes in
4 > config files following an update.
5 >
6 > The merge function is particularly useful, because you can see where your
7 > edits are/not affected by any changes to the new config defaults and reject/
8 > accept one change at a time.
9
10 Yeah, I couldn't live without cfg-update, especially with the
11 auto-merging of changes. The one caveat is that it isn't the
12 best-maintained piece of software out there. I'm mostly nursing it
13 along.
14
15 It uses 3-way diffs, which means you're looking at the new file, the
16 last Gentoo-provided file, and your current file. So, you can easily
17 see what changed upstream in the last update and focus on those
18 changes, vs the stuff that you added.
19
20 It can do automatic 3-way diffs. This means that if you made a change
21 to line 500 of some config file from the upstream one, and in the new
22 version line 3 changes, then line 3 will get updated without any
23 intervention. If on the other hand a line close to line 500 changes
24 then you'll be prompted to merge the changes. This is of course
25 optional behavior, but 99% of the time it does the right thing, since
26 most use default configs with a few tweaks. If you completely
27 scrapped the upstream config file and wrote your own this feature
28 won't be useful, but then again it won't touch the files anyway since
29 it will see that it changed.
30
31 It also tracks everything in RCS. Not my favorite vcs but it works
32 well enough for what the tool itself does, and I just keep all of /etc
33 in git which is the history I'd look at. I use etckeeper (in the
34 repo) for this - nothing too fancy - just some portage hooks to keep
35 git up to date for etc.
38 Rich