From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problems booting my server - ext2 - e2fsck
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 15:13:41
1 On 26 July 2010 15:11, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Monday 26 July 2010 12:02:56 Mick wrote:
3 >
4 >> Another gotcha is when you disable the deprecated CONFIG_IDE in the
5 >> kernel and you don't update your grub.conf and /etc/fstab to rename
6 >> /dev/hda's into /dev/sda's.
7 >
8 > Drifting off topic somewhat, when I upgraded udev on my firewall box last
9 > week I was told I shouldn't have CONFIG_IDE set, so I recompiled the
10 > kernel without it and lo! a kernel panic during boot. And yes, I had
11 > changed hdas to sdas.
12 >
13 > So udev is wrong in saying CONFIG_IDE should not be set - on that old P4
14 > box it has to be to get ICH4 drivers.
15
16 Hmm, did you try ATA_PIIX, or PATA_MPIIX, or PATA_SCH?
17
18 Also, make sure you enable BLK_DEV_SR, for some reason I could get a
19 box to boot without it. The box in question is an ancient PIII
20 Coppermine!
21 --
22 Regards,
23 Mick