From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] mozilla migration option
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 15:54:26
1 Hello,
2
3 Background:
4
5 We have many windoz and linux systems, all users use mozilla, for
6 these key reasons:
7
8 Easy to install on windoz or linux
9 easy to upgrade
10 easy to troubleshoot
11 email is stored in plain ascii text
12 easy for *users* to backup their bookmarks.html and email boxes
13 email and browser, etc, in a single easy to manage package.
14 Note: All Linux systems all use KDE-meta as I do not have time to
15 customize various kde packages on variety of systems.
18 So looking at this recent, very long thread, on 'browser advice',
19 (2) options stand out:
20
21 <snip>
22 Konqueror has come in leaps & bounds over the last few years and
23 is now the best stds compliant browser than the all the rest
24 (check acid test 2). Since it integrates nicely with Kmail I
25 tend to use it a lot when I browse links in
26 messages, or when I have already launched other KDE apps and
27 the associated kdeinit and kio-slaves are already running.
30 You could also try Seamonkey [1] which is closer replacement of Mozilla
31 than Firefox. It is an "all-in-one" solution just like Mozilla (web
32 browser, e-mail client, HTML composer, IRC client). It can be found in
33 portage.
34 <end/snip>
35
36 So, my biggest challenge is migrating all of the bookmarks, email,
37 setings and such to a new platform. Simple automation of this task
38 is the key ingredient, as well as a simple restore when a user gets
39 a new portable or workstation.
40
41 What's the best choice for making the migration as easy as possible?
42 After all, our users are frequently migrating their 'main machine'
43 form one sytems to another very frequently.
44
45 ideas?
48 James
51 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list