From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mozilla migration option
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 16:28:54
1 James wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > Background:
5 >
6 > We have many windoz and linux systems, all users use mozilla, for
7 > these key reasons:
8 >
9 > Easy to install on windoz or linux
10 > easy to upgrade
11 > easy to troubleshoot
12 > email is stored in plain ascii text
13 > easy for *users* to backup their bookmarks.html and email boxes
14 > email and browser, etc, in a single easy to manage package.
15 > Note: All Linux systems all use KDE-meta as I do not have time to
16 > customize various kde packages on variety of systems.
17 > < snip >
18 >
19 > You could also try Seamonkey [1] which is closer replacement of Mozilla
20 > than Firefox. It is an "all-in-one" solution just like Mozilla (web
21 > browser, e-mail client, HTML composer, IRC client). It can be found in
22 > portage.
23 > <end/snip>
24 >
25 > So, my biggest challenge is migrating all of the bookmarks, email,
26 > setings and such to a new platform. Simple automation of this task
27 > is the key ingredient, as well as a simple restore when a user gets
28 > a new portable or workstation.
29 >
30 > What's the best choice for making the migration as easy as possible?
31 > After all, our users are frequently migrating their 'main machine'
32 > form one sytems to another very frequently.
33 >
34 > ideas?
37 > James
41 I recently switched to Seamonkey and it just worked great. It will use
42 the same mozilla directory used before, mail and all. Just uninstall
43 Mozilla and install Seamonkey and start it up and continue on.
44
45 This may be the easiest option for you as you really don't have to do
46 anything but uninstall then install.
47
48 Hope this helps.
49