From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problem with gdbus-codegen
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2017 19:18:09
1 On Sunday 29 Jan 2017 09:59:53 Daniel Frey wrote:
2 > On 01/29/2017 02:09 AM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > >> Do you have a SSD? That sounds like symptoms of a failing SSD to me
4 > >> (it's happened more than once to me :/)
5 > >
6 > > Yes, nothing but one 256 GB NVMe drive in this box. Is there something
7 > > like
8 > > hdparm that will keep an eye on it for me?
9 > >
10 > > I hope it isn't that already: the whole system only dates from last May.
11 >
12 > I used to run an SSD on my home server (running mythtv, among other
13 > things), until one day I got home and it was misbehaving.
14 >
15 > I couldn't log into the server using ssh, so I logged in on the console.
16 > Everything appeared to be running but nothing new would load. Tried
17 > sync'ing to see if I could remerge various packages but got a similar
18 > weird error and found out half my portage tree was *poof*. On further
19 > inspection, about 40% of the OS files were gone. No wonder I problems
20 > logging on.
21 >
22 > This happened twice to me, so I no longer use SSDs on machines I use as
23 > servers in my home, they're just too unreliable. At least with spinning
24 > rust you get some warning and can usually do some recovery.
25
26 PVR/DVRs use a different specification of drives, which spin at a lower speed
27 and remain cooler for long(er) periods of operation.
30 > As far as monitoring, some vendors have tools for that I believe. They
31 > usually do run SMART.
32 >
33 > Are you running fstrim once in a while like it's recommended? Apparently
34 > using 'discard' as an option when mounting is no longer recommended. On
35 > my laptops I use a systemd timer to do this. Before that I used anacron
36 > (I think it was anacron) which would run missed cronjobs.
37 >
38 > Dan
39
40 This is surprised me ... I just installed Gentoo on a MacBook and the
41 handbook/wiki said to use discard in fstab ... I'm running two PCs like this
42 now. :-/
43
44 Is there a URL somewhere recommending otherwise?
47 Regards,
48 Mick