From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A few suggestions for emerge world via cron
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 00:13:53
1 On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 5:52 PM, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > First my setup:
3 >
4 > Fairly basic (newish) install (noX) in a Virtual Box vm on windows7 host
5 >
6 > I'd like to hear some of the ways you all keep up with syncing and
7 > update world.
8
9 I personally run it all manually and never schedule it to run unattended.
10
11 > Of course the basic call with cron is clear enough:
12 >
13 >  eix-sync
14 >  emerge -vuD world
15 >
16 > But what I mean is how you handle things script wise, so that when
17 > something doesn't compile or something else untoward happens during
18 > `emerge -vuD world' things don't just get jacked up.
19
20 emerge --keep-going which will abort the bad package and any packages
21 depending on it, but will continue emerging everything else possible.
22
23 > Also, what have users found to be good guess at how often to update
24 > world? (given my console mode setup, and the fact that it is not a
25 > server of any kind, more just a way to keep my hand in things gentoo)
26
27 I usually update every day. I have a headless mail and web server
28 running ~amd64 and even that sometimes goes a few days with nothing to
29 update. I find no harm in checking. :)
30
31 In the Windows world, once a month updates are the norm... with Gentoo
32 I really think updating as often as you're comfortable with is best,
33 because if you let a huge amount of updates happen all at once it can
34 get complicated to sort through them if they aren't straightforward
35 emerge-and-do-nothing updates. (see any of the "I'm updating a gentoo
36 system for the first time in a year" threads posted to this list)
37
38 On the other hand, updating too frequently can cause you to re-emerge
39 the same package over and over if someone is tweaking an ebuild
40 (especially on ~x86) and a less frequent update schedule will cause
41 you to miss some of the intermediate versions of the ebuild.