From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] applications cannot access anything on youtube
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2022 14:37:32
1 On Sunday, 6 March 2022 11:07:54 GMT John Covici wrote:
2 > On Sun, 06 Mar 2022 05:20:07 -0500,
3 >
4 > Peter Humphrey wrote:
5 > > On Sunday, 6 March 2022 09:39:32 GMT John Covici wrote:
6 > > > Hi. On my gentoo box, no application including ping can access
7 > > > www.youtube.com. However, a dig is doing it correctly, so I can not
8 > > > understand what is happening. A restart of named, gives me the same
9 > > > result. This is very baffling to me. If I change the URL to just
10 > > > youtube.com, it tries to work till the redirect to www.youtube.com and
11 > > > then stops dead.
12 > >
13 > > The host name is youtube.com. The 'www' is just a prefix for humans to
14 > > recognise; it has no real function any more, as far as I know.
15 >
16 > Well, if I try to go to anything on youtube with the browser, it
17 > redirects to www.youtube.com which is not accessible, except using
18 > dig.
19
20 Which browser? The ones I've tried would first try youtube.com, and if that
21 fails name lookup it will try prepending www. That may happen too fast for you
22 to notice, though.
25 Regards,
26 Peter.