From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: gigabyte mobo latency
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2014 03:16:31
1 thegeezer <thegeezer <at> thegeezer.net> writes:
4 > there is a little more here
5 > http://gentoo-en.vfose.ru/wiki/Improve_responsiveness_with_cgroups
6 > which will allow you to script creating a cgroup with the processID of
7 > an interactive shell, that you can start from to help save hunting down
8 > all the threads spawned by chrome.
9 > you can then do fun stuff with echo $$ >
10 > /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu/high_priority/tasks
11
12 Yea this is cool. But when it's a cluster, with thousands of processes
13 this seem to be limited by the manual parsing and CLI actions that
14 are necessary for large/busy environments. (We shall see).
15
16 > hopefully this will give you a bit more control over all of that though
19 Gmane mandates that the previous lines be culled. That said; you have given
20 me much to think about, test and refine.
21
22 In /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu I have:
23
24 cgroup.clone_children cgroup.procs cpu.shares release_agent
25 cgroup.event_control cgroup.sane_behavior notify_on_release tasks
26
27 So I'll have to research creating and priotizing dirs like "high_priority"
30 I certainly appreciate your lucid and direct explanations.
31 Let me play with this a bit and I'll post back when I munge things
32 up..... Are there any "graphical tools" for adjusting and managing
33 cgroups? Surely when I apply this to the myriad of things running
34 on my mesos+spark cluster I'm going to need a well thoughout tool
35 for cgroup management, particularly on memory resources organization
36 and allocations as spark is an "in_memory" environment that seems
37 sensitive to OOM issues of all sorts.
38
39 thx,
40 James