From: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] any one using ubuntu phones?
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 13:14:21
1 On 29/06/15 21:03, behrouz khosravi wrote:
2 > I believe there was an effort to get Gentoo Prefix running on Android
3 > as part of GSoC. I've yet to try it myself but you might find that
4 > useful. I doubt it runs x11, but your typical x11 application isn't
5 > really going to work well on a smartphone anyway unless you get a
6 > bluetooth mouse/keyboard for it, and a magnifying glass.
9 > I love to get ride of android altogether!
10 > I would love to see a platform open enough that I am able to install my
11 > bootloader on it easily and boot what I prefer using a usb flash memory.
12 > This is what I consider as the linux or more appropriately free software
13 > ecosystem.
14 > It is obvious that we are far from this but I think that we deserve it
15 > anyways.
16 > I dont know whay we are not there yet, touch screen is just another
17 > input device, baseband modulator and demodulators are just another
18 > device attached to the CPU.
21 There is an android app that allows you to run a gentoo image. I didn't
22 try to go past the shell into a GUI yet ... should be possible. The
23 problem I had was on trying to update a package for security reasons I
24 hit some critical item that was missing out of the android kernel config
25 so I'll have to build a custom one :( Will get back it some day, but
26 amazing none the less.
27
28 BillK