From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] introspection USE flag and KDE
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 18:31:21
1 Am 17.08.2011 18:03, schrieb Dale:
2 > Michael Mol wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 9:48 PM, Adam Carter<adamcarter3@×××××.com>
4 >> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> that and find https://live.gnome.org/GObjectIntrospection
7 >>>
8 >>> Now ask someone who codes WTF that page means :) Sounds like it allows
9 >>> programs to use code from different languages.
10 >>>
11 >> More specifically, while Gnome apps could already be written in
12 >> multiple languages, the libraries bridging those languages to C were
13 >> cumbersome (and thus buggy) to maintain, and this introspection change
14 >> is intended to result in a cleanup of that process.
19 > Ohhh, now I see. I thought it was talking about languages like English,
20 > Spanish etc. lol
21 >
22 > Dale
23 >
24 > :-) :-)
27 The ASCII-art on page [1] pretty much sums it up with regard to the
28 compile step:
29
30 There is a second compiler involved that parses the comments in the C
31 source code and generates binary files with type information etc. which
32 can then be used for language bindings.
33
34 So, it will probably slow down compilation and use more disk space (but
35 not very much, as stated on -dev). Also, as stated on -dev, ALWAYS
36 enable this unless you want to recompile most of @world if you ever need
37 a language binding.
38
39 [1] https://live.gnome.org/GObjectIntrospection/Architecture