From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] introspection USE flag and KDE
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 21:45:35
1 Florian Philipp wrote:
2 > Am 17.08.2011 18:03, schrieb Dale:
3 >
4 >> Michael Mol wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 9:48 PM, Adam Carter<adamcarter3@×××××.com>
7 >>> wrote:
8 >>>
9 >>>
10 >>>> that and find https://live.gnome.org/GObjectIntrospection
11 >>>>
12 >>>> Now ask someone who codes WTF that page means :) Sounds like it allows
13 >>>> programs to use code from different languages.
14 >>>>
15 >>>>
16 >>> More specifically, while Gnome apps could already be written in
17 >>> multiple languages, the libraries bridging those languages to C were
18 >>> cumbersome (and thus buggy) to maintain, and this introspection change
19 >>> is intended to result in a cleanup of that process.
20 >>>
21 >>>
22 >>>
23 >>
24 >> Ohhh, now I see. I thought it was talking about languages like English,
25 >> Spanish etc. lol
26 >>
27 >> Dale
28 >>
29 >> :-) :-)
32 > The ASCII-art on page [1] pretty much sums it up with regard to the
33 > compile step:
34 >
35 > There is a second compiler involved that parses the comments in the C
36 > source code and generates binary files with type information etc. which
37 > can then be used for language bindings.
38 >
39 > So, it will probably slow down compilation and use more disk space (but
40 > not very much, as stated on -dev). Also, as stated on -dev, ALWAYS
41 > enable this unless you want to recompile most of @world if you ever need
42 > a language binding.
43 >
44 > [1] https://live.gnome.org/GObjectIntrospection/Architecture
45 >
46 > Regards,
47 > Florian Philipp
51 Ahhhhh, pictures, well sort of anyway. My biggest thing is I don't use
52 Gnome. It sounds like KDE may be moving this direction too. So, may as
53 well leave it alone. I did read somewhere where the size increase is
54 fairly small. I got a 160Gb drive for my OS so I think it will fit on
55 there. lol
56
57 Now I see better. Thanks.
58