From: motub@××××××.nl
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to control portage space usage
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2005 21:11:22
1 ----- Original Message -----
2 From: Fernando Meira <fmeira@×××××.com>
3 Date: Sunday, August 7, 2005 10:22 pm
4 Subject: [gentoo-user] how to control portage space usage
5
6 > Hi,
7 > this is probably an old discussion, sorry for bring it up again.
8 >
9 > When I joined Gentoo (a few months ago) I got the idea that I could
10 > control
11 > very well the space that gentoo would require. That would be great
12 > because
13 > of my 4.6G available to it. Then, not so long time ago I got very
14 > surprised
15 > with how much less space available I had when I didn't have
16 > (almost)
17 > anything installed. Now it's completely full and I'm the middle of
18 > an emerge
19 > :(
20 >
21 > Well, tears apart, I would like to know if there's a good way to
22 > control the
23 > space usage of portage, since it is the reason for my problem.
24 > My /usr/portage and /var/tmp/portage/ take 2.2G which is almost
25 > half of the
26 > partition.
27 >
28 > What I have installed:
29 > - some (split) ebuilds of kde 3.4.1
30 > - e16
31 > - e17
32 > - firefox
33 > - gimp
34 > - acrobat reader 7
35 > - xmms, amsn (and maybe a few more small packages)
36 >
37 > What I've found until now:
38 > - clear /usr/portage/distfiles and /var/tmp/portage after an
39 > emerge, or
40 > regularly (using tmpreaper)
41 > - there are some users-made scripts (still buggy) that look for old
42 > ebuilds
43 > in portage tree and erases them (
44 > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-3011-highlight-
45 > portage+space+usage.html)
46 >
47 > Any comments/ideas/scripts about this, or everyone has plenty space
49 > spare...
50 >
51 > Cheers,
52 > Fernando
53
54 As far as I know, that's pretty much what you can do (assuming that the cleaning of /var/tmp/portage occurs when you have a failed emerge
55 as well, since failed emerges leave the temporary work files there until the emerge is either correctly completed, or you delete the files
56 yourself).
57
58 The thing is, it now depends to some degree on just what you are emerging, because as you fill your disk with emerged programs, and
59 assuming that those programs don't reside on another disk (/usr, /var, /tmp, or /opt on another disk or partition than / ), you will lose
60 the ability to compile certain programs that naturally take up more space than you have available during the emerge process.
61
62 I'm thinking specifically of OpenOffice.org, which takes about 3GB just to emerge, but I suspect Mozilla and its ilk, and certain KDE
63 programs may not be much better. Not to mention X.org or glibc. But from what you've said, even if /usr/portage/distfiles
64 and /var/tmp/portage are empty, you wouldn't have enough space to emerge OO.o at this time, and possibly other high-end programs as well.
65 Of course, you could just use the openoffice-bin package for that case. But not for every case that this might occur, and frankly, it's a
66 losing proposition (either you have to be constantly on the ball as to how much space every program you want needs to emerge, or you have
67 to give up some stuff).
68
69 Less than 5GB is really not enough for a Gentoo install unless it's going to be *very* minimal. If I was you, I'd look around for an old 5
70 or 10 GB disk, slap it in the box and move /usr or /var (probably a better choice) to that, and then mount it to the / partition.
71
72 Just my 0.02
73 Holly
74 --