From: Burak Arslan <burak.arslan@××××××××××.tr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] VPN question
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2013 16:24:40
1 Selamlar,
2
3 On 12/23/13 18:01, Timur Aydin wrote:
4 > On 12/23/13 17:55, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
5 >> On 12/23/2013 07:47 AM, Timur Aydin wrote:
6 >>> Hello everybody,
7 >>>
8 >>> I have a gentoo linux PC at home that I am using as my internet gateway.
9 >>> It is also running a web server and a mail server with a static IP.
10 >>> Everything is working fine.
11 >>>
12 >>> Now I have installed a VPN server on this system (OpenVPN) and I am
13 >>> using a VPN service provider to get a USA IP address.
14 >> Can you give us a better idea of what is running where? Who is the VPN
15 >> client, who is the server, what are the IP addresses, hostnames, etc?
18 > I am located in Turkey. The VPN service provider is
19 > http://www.strongvpn.com and they have servers all over the world. I am
20 > using their server located in New York. Once I establish the SSL VPN
21 > tunnel, the NY server effectively becomes my internet gateway. I need to
22 > do this to get around websites that impose geographical restrictions on
23 > their service (example, netflix.com, pandora.com). With the tunnel, I
24 > look like I am located in NY and the website has no way of knowing that
25 > I am in Turkey.
26 >
27 > Regarding IP address, do you mean the USA IP address I receive from the
28 > VPN service provider or my ISP assigned static IP?
31 Note that as we don't have actual data, the following is mostly
32 speculation:
33
34 Once the VPN connection is established, among the routes pushed by your
35 OpenVPN provider is also a default gateway entry which routes every
36 non-local packet through the vpn.
37
38 Your daemons at home receive a packet via your static Turkish address
39 but, because you got your default gw configured to be your vpn provider,
40 the response packet goes through NY. Due to reverse-path filtering or
41 some other fact of nature, it's dropped somewhere along the way.
42
43 If that's the case (big if :)), here's what you need to do:
44 http://lartc.org/lartc.html#AEN267
45
46 Hope that helps.
47