From: Timur Aydin <ta@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] VPN question
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2013 16:03:33
1 On 12/23/13 17:55, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 12/23/2013 07:47 AM, Timur Aydin wrote:
3 >> Hello everybody,
4 >>
5 >> I have a gentoo linux PC at home that I am using as my internet gateway.
6 >> It is also running a web server and a mail server with a static IP.
7 >> Everything is working fine.
8 >>
9 >> Now I have installed a VPN server on this system (OpenVPN) and I am
10 >> using a VPN service provider to get a USA IP address.
11 > Can you give us a better idea of what is running where? Who is the VPN
12 > client, who is the server, what are the IP addresses, hostnames, etc?
16 I am located in Turkey. The VPN service provider is
17 http://www.strongvpn.com and they have servers all over the world. I am
18 using their server located in New York. Once I establish the SSL VPN
19 tunnel, the NY server effectively becomes my internet gateway. I need to
20 do this to get around websites that impose geographical restrictions on
21 their service (example, netflix.com, pandora.com). With the tunnel, I
22 look like I am located in NY and the website has no way of knowing that
23 I am in Turkey.
24
25 Regarding IP address, do you mean the USA IP address I receive from the
26 VPN service provider or my ISP assigned static IP?
27
28 Timur