From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Cleanify a Firefox Profile - how?
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2017 05:24:27
1 On 2017-02-24 20:15, R0b0t1 wrote:
2
3 > > If you have ssh access to a server outside, you can run your own
4 > > SOCKS proxy with ssh -D. That should also defeat any MITM actions
5 > > by your ISP.
6 >
7 > I'm not trying to be obtuse - but what about the *server's* ISP? In
8 > practice it may be a good suggestion as mobile carriers may be the
9 > only ones using supercookies, but I doubt that.
10
11 I had in mind a situation where the server is a real iron one in a data
12 center, so the "ISP" would be the entity operating the data center, such
13 as (in my neighborhood) Hurricane Electric. Do they also mess with
14 traffic in such ways? I really doubt *that*, since their business
15 depends on their reputation for delivering bits faithfully.
16
17 But I don't really know.
18
19 One other advantage of this setup is that your traffic gets mixed with
20 that of others using the server. A bit more anonymity, but of course a
21 site operator determined enough to do fingerprinting will be able to
22 pick you out anyway.
25 Please *no* private Cc: on mailing lists and newsgroups
26 Personal signed mail: please _encrypt_ and sign
27 Don't clear-text sign: http://cr.yp.to/smtp/8bitmime.html