From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo-sources menuconfig feature/weirdness
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 02:51:48
1 On Feb 25, 2012 9:16 AM, "Dale" <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 ---->8snip
7 > That is true BUT the docs are for 100% certainty. Well, 99% at least.
8 > They almost always have the safest way to do anything but not
9 > necessarily the most used way. There are lots of things I do
10 > differently from the docs and my system generally works fine, except for
11 > the little roaches that scurry about from time to time.
12 >
13 > If you want a drop dead, almost as sure as the Sun comes up in the East
14 > approach, go by the docs. If you want to save some time for most
15 > general usage, do it the way us goofy geeks do it. Some of us know some
16 > neat shortcuts.
17 >
18 > Dale
21 I tend to do an 'eyeball dryrun' first: start tmux, create 2 'windows', do
22 make menuconfig of the older kernel in the first window, and start make
23 menuconfig in the second. I quickly compare the menu structure of both to
24 see where the implicit oldconfig might choke, do some research if
25 necessary, and make notes.
26
27 Then, I exit the newer menuconfig and cp the older .config to the newer src
28 directory, and start make menuconfig again. I keep comparing what I'm doing
29 against what I've done in window #1.
30
31 Never had a kernel upgrade failure this way -- touch wood!
32
33 Rgds,