From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo-sources menuconfig feature/weirdness
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 11:40:13
1 Pandu Poluan wrote:
2 >
3 > On Feb 25, 2012 9:16 AM, "Dale" <rdalek1967@×××××.com
4 > <mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com>> wrote:
5 >>
6 > ---->8snip
10 >> That is true BUT the docs are for 100% certainty. Well, 99% at least.
11 >> They almost always have the safest way to do anything but not
12 >> necessarily the most used way. There are lots of things I do
13 >> differently from the docs and my system generally works fine, except for
14 >> the little roaches that scurry about from time to time.
15 >>
16 >> If you want a drop dead, almost as sure as the Sun comes up in the East
17 >> approach, go by the docs. If you want to save some time for most
18 >> general usage, do it the way us goofy geeks do it. Some of us know some
19 >> neat shortcuts.
20 >>
21 >> Dale
24 > I tend to do an 'eyeball dryrun' first: start tmux, create 2 'windows',
25 > do make menuconfig of the older kernel in the first window, and start
26 > make menuconfig in the second. I quickly compare the menu structure of
27 > both to see where the implicit oldconfig might choke, do some research
28 > if necessary, and make notes.
29 >
30 > Then, I exit the newer menuconfig and cp the older .config to the newer
31 > src directory, and start make menuconfig again. I keep comparing what
32 > I'm doing against what I've done in window #1.
33 >
34 > Never had a kernel upgrade failure this way -- touch wood!
35 >
36 > Rgds,
40 I have had only one doing it the quick way. When I did have a failure
41 tho, I did like you do but in two windows of Konsole. One window on top
42 and one on bottom. Just went section by section. Over the past 3 or so
43 years, no problems and it only takes about 20 seconds. One thing tho,
44 if it fails, it generally tells you it made a mess. Just delete the new
45 config and start from scratch like above.
46
47 Dale
48
52 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
53 how you interpreted my words!
54
55 Miss the compile output? Hint:
56 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"