From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Daniel Pielmeier <billie@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] "Illegal instruction" error
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 23:04:15
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 00:40 on Tuesday 12 October 2010, Daniel
2 Pielmeier did opine thusly:
3
4 > Alan McKinnon schrieb am 12.10.2010 00:26:
5 > > It's none of those apparently. I checked CFLAGS set by the ebuild in the
6 > > emerge log before posting and they looked fine. gcc was last updated a
7 > > month ago and the machine gets updated almost daily.
8 > >
9 > > glibc seems possible but it's a moot point, especially as after
10 > > investigating memory at Mark's suggestion, genlop runs fine now, world
11 > > updates successfully and 2 ./configure errors about aclocal (that I
12 > > didn't even mention before) have gone away.
13 > >
14 > > I should probably start treating this poor machine more like a notebook
15 > > and less like a high performance machine - running flat out almost 24/7
16 > > is probably outside of it's design spec :-)
17 >
18 > Glad the reason for your problem was found. Time make use of Dell's NBD
19 > support then :)
22 :-)
23
24 This is what happens with modern reliable hardware - I should have gone for
25 the memory as the very very first step. It's been so long since I've had to
26 deal with dodgy memory on anything, it just didn't occur to me....
27
28 I was ready to start looking for weird flags using weird cpu instructions.
33 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com