From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] About ready to move /usr, /var and /home to LVM.
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 00:20:38
1 Florian Philipp wrote:
2 > Am 14.04.2012 13:52, schrieb Dale:
3 >> kwkhui@××××.net wrote:
4 >>> On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 05:32:01 -0500
5 >>> Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>>> Gregory Shearman wrote:
8 >>>>> In linux.gentoo.user, Dale wrote:
9 >>>>>> I have ran into a issue here. I copied everything over to sdb, my
10 >>>>>> temp drive. When I try to boot it, it still boots from sda which
11 >>>>>> is the primary drive. I can not get it to boot from the copy. I
12 >>>>>> did update the fstab file to point to the new sdb partitions, I
13 >>>>>> use labels for that and they have different names. I also edited
14 >>>>>> grub and told it root was sdb2. When I boot, everything mounted
15 >>>>>> is sda.
16 >>>>>
17 >>>>> Did you actually install grub onto your MBR by either:
18 >>>>>
19 > [...]
20 >>>>
21 >>>> In the past, I never had to install grub to sdb. As long as grub is
22 >>>> installed to one drive, I can boot a OS from any drive.
23 >>>>
24 > [...]
25 >>>>
26 >>>> So, has something changed that if I want to boot from a second drive I
27 >>>> have to install grub to its MBR first?
28 >>>>
29 > [...]
30 >>>
31 >>> Yes, if you want to boot from another drive, that drive needs to have
32 >>> a usable MBR (or GPT equivalent).
33 >>>
34 > [...]
35 >>
36 >> Well, I installed grub to the second drives MBR. I even changed the
37 >> BIOS to see that drive as the main or first drive. It still boots the
38 >> old drive. I looked in dmesg and saw where it is supposed to point to
39 >> the tmp drive and it still boots the old drive even tho it is told not to.
40 >>
41 >> Let's see, boot a CD, just do a reinstall from scratch and call it a
42 >> day. This is ridiculous when you can't tell a boot loader to boot the
43 >> second drive and it actually do it. Heaven forbid if I had two Linux
44 >> OSs on here.
45 >>
46 >> :-) :-)
49 > As we are out of rational ideas, have you tried unplugging the old disk?
50 > You don't need it for booting at the moment, right? AS SATA is
51 > hot-plugin capable, you can re-insert it later.
52 >
53 > Regards,
54 > Florian Philipp
58 Well, if I unplug it, how am I going to change the partitions and copy
59 the OS back over to it? I have not tested the hot plug thingy yet.
60 Yea, it is supposed to work but . . .
61
62 I have done this many times before and never took the sides off the
63 computer. Has someone broken grub?
64
65 Dale
66
71 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
72 how you interpreted my words!
73
74 Miss the compile output? Hint:
75 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"