From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Size of portage tree
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 11:07:03
1 Hi,
2
3 On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 15:52:17 +0200
4 Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org> wrote:
5
6 > Also, the block size of the file system in which /usr/portage lives can
7 > make a big difference.
8
9 True. See below...
10
11 > Try a clean /usr/portage on an ext2/3 filesystem vs. a /usr/portage on
12 > reiserfs and you'll see what I mean.
13
14 FS type isn't about blocksize (well, maybe about blocksize
15 constraints). Reiserfs supports putting more than one file in a single
16 block, that's why using Reiser makes a difference, too.
17
18 But reg. blocksize:
19
20 $ du -sh --exclude=packages --exclude=distfiles /usr/portage/
21 138M /usr/portage/
22
23 Neat, eh? That's because of this:
24
25 $ xfs_info /usr/portage/
26 [...]
27 data = bsize=512 blocks=706792, imaxpct=25
28 = sunit=0 swidth=0 blks, unwritten=1
29 [...]
30
31 As you can see, a blocksize of 512 bytes is enough to keep portage
32 small. I've dedicated a small partition to the portage tree because of
33 this.
34
35 -hwh
36 --