From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Typewriter sound
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 17:48:05
1 On 2011-08-31, Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 11:27 AM, Grant Edwards
3 ><grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> I've read the xset man page, I've tried the 'c' option, and it does
5 >> absolutely nothing. ?To the best of my recollection, the 'xset c'
6 >> command has never done anything on any X11 machine I've used in the
7 >> past 15+ years. ?I have vague memories of it having done something on
8 >> Sun 3 hardware 20 years ago, but all it did was turn a "click" on/off.
9 >
10 > My guess is that maybe it depends on either:
11 >
12 > a) your keyboard having a speaker built-in
13
14 I believe that's how it worked with Sun3 keyboards.
15
16 > b) old school pc-speaker in your computer
17
18 Even then, how do you play a recorded sound file containing a
19 typeblock-hitting-platen sound through that speaker? It was connected
20 to a timer-counter output pin not a D/A converter (unless you count
21 timer/counter output pin as a 1-bit D/A converter).
22
23 > but maybe I'm wrong. :)
26 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! This ASEXUAL PIG
27 at really BOILS my BLOOD
28 gmail.com ... He's so ... so
29 ... URGENT!!