From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Size of portage tree
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 15:32:11
1 On Wednesday 28 September 2005 15:55, Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org> writes:
3 > > On Wednesday 28 September 2005 14:43, glumtail wrote:
4 > >> You can alway rm /usr/portage/distfiles/
5 > >> Those files can be downloaded again when emerge.
6 > >
7 > > Also, the block size of the file system in which /usr/portage lives can
8 > > make a big difference.
9 > > Try a clean /usr/portage on an ext2/3 filesystem vs. a /usr/portage on
10 > > reiserfs and you'll see what I mean.
11 >
12 > I am using reiserfs but only on trial basis. I've noticed what
13 > appears to be quite a large increase in time needed for fs intensive
14 > things like du or rm -rf as compared to ext3 but I've done no real
15 > comparison testing.
16 >
17 > Have you noticed that too?
18
19 no, but I noticed, that reiserfs needs much less space with small files (like
20 portage tree) than ext2/3.
21 --
22 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list