From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LiveUSB booting a USB harddrive
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 19:18:37
1 Hi,
2
3 On Tue, 15 May 2007 20:03:15 +0100
4 Nick <gentoo-user@××××××.uk> wrote:
5
6 > So, if I follow the commands at the doc mentioned above, should all
7 > work fine? the dd if=/usr/lib/syslinux/mbr.bin of=/dev/sda (or
8 > whatever) is of particular concern, as it's a scary command to run
9 > on a disk with non backed-up data on it (no, I currently have no
10 > real backup of the disk - 180GB to backup is too expensive for me)
11
12 So make a backup of the relevant part first. Check for the length
13 of /usr/lib/syslinux/mbr.bin and make a backup:
14 "dd if=/dev/sda of=/my-mbr-mackup bs=1024 count=1" (insert correct
15 count according to that mentioned file size).
16
17 But why not just use grub and bother with syslinux instead? But it
18 boils down to be a matter of taste, I guess...
19
20 -hwh
21 --
22 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list