From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] problem with nvidia card -- could it be hardware?
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 03:10:35
1 Alexander Kapshuk <alexander.kapshuk@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On 06/20/2014 11:58 AM, covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
4 > > Hi. I am using the nvidia GeForce GT 430 for years and suddenly within
5 > > the last few days, if I start gdm, it gives me an error, no screens
6 > > found and dumpss core and if I let it go it will keep dumping core and
7 > > filling up my root partition. It works with my frame buffer, but no
8 > > longer with gdm or even startx. So is this some kind of strange
9 > > hardware glitch? I did downgrade the nvidia driver, but no joy.
10 > >
11 > > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
12 > >
13 > You may want to take a look at this,
14 > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-858782-start-0.html, see if that helps.
15 >
16 > What is the version of your nvidia driver?
17 >
18 > Did the problem you're experiencing come about as a result of a recent
19 > nvidia driver, and/or xorg server update?
20 >
21 > As already suggested, having a look at your /var/log/Xorg.0.log may
22 > through some more light on what could be amiss.
25 So, it turned out that after I bought a new card and had some problems
26 with that card (user error it turned out), I put back the old card and
27 it worked fine, so just reseating the thing made it work much better --
28 I thought I would reply to this in case anyone else was having a problem
29 like this.
33 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
34 How do
35 you spend it?
36
37 John Covici