From: Jorge Almeida <jalmeida@××××××××××××.pt>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] vim-in-pine problem
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 23:26:01
1 On Fri, 20 Oct 2006, Willie Wong wrote:
2 >>
3 >> Is there something I can do to try to find the culprit? (Using pico is a
4 >> real pain, I'm already tired after writing this message!)
5 >
6 > Do you have physical access to the remote machine? If you do, try and
7 > see if you can reproduce it locally at the remote machine, just to
8 Not until monday. But I sent mail yesterday at that box, and didn't
9 notice anything wrong.
10 > rule out ssh being the culprit. (Or perhaps you can try running pine
11 > in a screen session. If ssh is alive, and vim is AWOL, you should be
12 > able to C-a C-d and detach the screen session.)
13 I tried but the problem didn't manifest. Neither did it without screen
14 (it doesn't manifest always), so it's not conclusive...
15 >
16 > Did you upgrade vim? or Pine? What versions of those are you running?
17 I emerge sync and emerge -NDu world almost every day, so the versions are
18 the last stable ones (pine-4.64-r3 and vim-7.0.17). There was no upgrade
19 of either package in the last week...
20 >
21 > If you suspect the kernel is the problem, is there anything in the
22 > logs? (dmesg or otherwise).
23 I really can't imagine why the kernel would affect only the combination
24 ssh+pine+vim, but on the other hand there aren't many suspects!
25 Nothing in dmesg/logs...
26
27 My ISP is really crappy and the connection was not at its best, but, as
28 I said, other ssh sessions continued alive and responding well (I could
29 see the output of "ls" immediately, whereas I couldn't change mode, or
30 move arrows, in vim-in-pine. Note that I could use vim in other ssh
31 sessions, just not on pine!
32 >
33 Thanks.
36 Jorge Almeida