From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] deleting virtual cd in usb hard disc
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 01:23:16
1 On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 08:42:45 +0930, Iain Buchanan wrote:
2
3 > > But it's not, not once you eject the virtual CD. Is it really worth
4 > > bricking your hardware and invalidating the warranty to get rid of
5 > > something that disappears after a couple of microseconds anyway?
6 >
7 > sorry, you're asking the wrong guy that question :) IMHO, yes; IHisHO
8 > maybe not.
9
10 Well, if I got an answer, maybe I wasn't asking the wrong person, as the
11 OP didn't reply when I first asked it :)
12
13 Personally, I wouldn't risk bricking £70+ of hardware when a one line
14 config file entry would also get rid of the device. And that's assuming a
15 suitably hacked firmware could be found in the first place, and that
16 this part of the drive's behaviour was controlled by the flashable
17 portion of the firmware.
18
19 That's a lot of ifs and a lot more potential hassle to avoid pasting one
20 line -)
24 Neil Bothwick
25
26 Accordion: a bagpipe with pleats.