From: v_2e@×××.net
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Offtopic] Lightweight server distro for an old motherboard
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 11:55:11
1 On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 23:35:57 -0400
2 Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 10:57 PM, Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au> wrote:
5 > > Hi all,
6 > > Anyone got any suggestions for a lightweight server distro
7 > > for an old motherboard? I've got one of the VIA mini-ITX boards,
8 > > SP13000, and want to whack something light onto it. It will be
9 > > working as a file/media server and will be headless, hence will be
10 > > fiddled via ssh. Obviously there are the usual suspects, debian,
11 > > centos, but does anyone have any recommendations viv a vis a
12 > > stripped down distro, sort of like Lubuntu is to Ubuntu?
13 > >
14 > > Any thoughts greatly appreciated,
15 >
16 > If you want to do something lightweight, there's not much better you
17 > can do than with Gentoo.
18 >
19 Yes, there is. Well, it actually depends on what we are currently
20 calling "lightweight". Gentoo depends on Python heavily. And it makes
21 it impossible to use with low-memory systems.
22 There are a number of binary distributions specially targeted at old
23 or small systems. As for me, I use DeLi(cate) GNU/Linux on my old PC
24 acting as a headless file-server and torrent-client. [It has 64 MB of
25 RAM (tested with 32MB as well), Pentium CPU@200MHz (tested with AMD
26 K5)]
27 Before DeLi(cate) I used DeLi itself. It worked fine, but the
28 developers dropped the support. DeLi(cate) uses Arch package
29 management system which works very fast. It is also easy to add the
30 new packages which are absent in repository at the moment.
31 My impression is that all lightweight distributions are usually
32 Slackware-based or Arch-based. But of course, there are different
33 variants of lightweight systems.
34 Check out these pages, for example:
35 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_Linux_distribution
36 http://distrowatch.com/search.php?ostype=All&category=Old+Computers&origin=All&basedon=All&notbasedon=None&desktop=All&architecture=All&status=Active