From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Rafa Griman <rafagriman@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dual or Quad CPU complications?
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 17:51:43
1 Am Freitag, 14. Dezember 2012, 08:55:08 schrieb Rafa Griman:
2 > On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 7:22 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
3 >
4 > <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > > Am Mittwoch, 12. Dezember 2012, 22:12:18 schrieb Grant:
6 > >> I've only ever used systems with a single CPU. I'm looking for a new
7 > >> host
8 > >> for a dedicated server (suggestions?) and it looks like I'll probably
9 > >> choose a machine with two or four CPUs. What sort of complications does
10 > >> that add to set up and/or maintenance with Gentoo?
11 > >
12 > > none
13 > >
14 > > also, forget numa. You won't deal with douzends of cores each using local
15 > > memory and acccession the memory managed by the other cores.
16 >
17 > It depends on his application, maybe his application does benefit on
18 > NUMA architecture. Until we don't know what he's running, we can't
19 > really say this or that architecture/technology is of no use ;)
20 >
21 > So Volker, what applications are you running (and BTW: what volume of
22 > data are you managing, how many users, ...)? This will helps us help
23 > you :)
24
25 you don't get NUMA just for free.
26
27 You have to buy NUMA hardware. If the hardware you buys does not scream NUMA
28 at you, you don't have it. It is really that simple.
29
30 Multicore, multisocket systems MIGHT be NUMA systems - but that is not a
31 guarantee. Now can this stupid thread please die away?
32
33 There are no caveats going from single to multicore on consumer hardware. and
34 even on non consumer hardware there aren't many.
37 #163933