From: "boslists@×××××.com" <boslists@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: First Portage Hick-up, Chokes on Java
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2008 02:58:44
1 On Thu, 2 Oct 2008, Q wrote:
2
3 <snip>
4
5 > You didn't need this. It's for third-party e-builds, but you aren't
6 > using a third party e-build. The zip file came from Sun, but the
7 > ebuild is in the Gentoo portage tree.
8 >
9 > Ebuilds are just scripts which portage uses to build the packages. In
10 > this case, the ebuild isn't allowed to download the files it needs
11 > automagically, but it's still a Gentoo ebuild, not a third-party one.
12 >
13 > I've snipped the rest of what you wrote about overlays, &c., but it
14 > didn't look like anything was wrong, just unnecessary for what you want
15 > to do. For more info about overlays, see
16 > <http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/overlays/userguide.xml>.
19 Thanks for the additional info. Good to know!
20
21 Rather than clutter the list with a lot of thanks, let me just say thanks
22 to all for any future replies written before knowing that I went ahead and
23 took the plunge and it worked.
24
25 Bo Grimes