From: Indi <thebeelzebubtrigger@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Threads changing Was: OT: website design
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2011 18:45:06
1 On Sat, Jun 04, 2011 at 08:11:09PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Apparently, though unproven, at 17:20 on Saturday 04 June 2011, Indi did opine
3 > thusly:
4 >
5 > > On Sat, Jun 04, 2011 at 09:54:11AM -0500, Dale wrote:
6 > > > I suspected it was whatever device was being used. Sort of like top
7 > > > posting. Some people have to top post because the device they are using
8 > > > won't let them reply any other way.
9 > > >
10 > > > I just wonder if there is some setting that could be changed somewhere
11 > > > to make it work correctly with usenet, or whatever you were using.
12 > >
13 > > As soon as Alan said it was me, I thought of the difference between
14 > > usenet and email headers and that mail2news gateway. It actually
15 > > shouldn't be hard to workaround, but having already worked around a
16 > > couple of other issues with it I'm ready to just use the email like
17 > > "normal folks" and be done fooling with it. :)
18 >
19 > FWIW,
20 >
21 > If I set kmail to display just routine ordinary threaded mail there's a lot
22 > less thread breakage. It's not all gone, but it is considerably less.
23 >
24 > Setting kmail to display threads based on "activity" - whatever the blazes
25 > that is - breaks things wholesale. I haven't managed to narrow it down at all
26 > so I have no idea what the algorithm is.
27 >
28 > Looks like there's more to this than just usernet<->mail gateway brokenness
31 I'd switch if *mutt* was breaking threading for other people, but I'm
32 pretty sure it isn't. Now kmail and the other pointy-clicky-html-loving
33 apps, *those* I don't trust... Tried 'em, found 'em wanting. ;)
34
35 It would be good to hear from more people running different MUAs,
36 but IMO mutt is the Gold Standard and is almost certaily doing what it's
37 supposed to do.
40 caveat utilitor