From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Threads changing Was: OT: website design
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2011 19:01:37
1 On 6/4/2011 11:43 AM, Indi wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jun 04, 2011 at 08:11:09PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >> Apparently, though unproven, at 17:20 on Saturday 04 June 2011, Indi did opine
4 >> thusly:
5 >>
6 >>> On Sat, Jun 04, 2011 at 09:54:11AM -0500, Dale wrote:
7 >>>> I suspected it was whatever device was being used. Sort of like top
8 >>>> posting. Some people have to top post because the device they are using
9 >>>> won't let them reply any other way.
10 >>>>
11 >>>> I just wonder if there is some setting that could be changed somewhere
12 >>>> to make it work correctly with usenet, or whatever you were using.
13 >>>
14 >>> As soon as Alan said it was me, I thought of the difference between
15 >>> usenet and email headers and that mail2news gateway. It actually
16 >>> shouldn't be hard to workaround, but having already worked around a
17 >>> couple of other issues with it I'm ready to just use the email like
18 >>> "normal folks" and be done fooling with it. :)
19 >>
20 >> FWIW,
21 >>
22 >> If I set kmail to display just routine ordinary threaded mail there's a lot
23 >> less thread breakage. It's not all gone, but it is considerably less.
24 >>
25 >> Setting kmail to display threads based on "activity" - whatever the blazes
26 >> that is - breaks things wholesale. I haven't managed to narrow it down at all
27 >> so I have no idea what the algorithm is.
28 >>
29 >> Looks like there's more to this than just usernet<->mail gateway brokenness
32 > I'd switch if *mutt* was breaking threading for other people, but I'm
33 > pretty sure it isn't. Now kmail and the other pointy-clicky-html-loving
34 > apps, *those* I don't trust... Tried 'em, found 'em wanting. ;)
35 >
36 > It would be good to hear from more people running different MUAs,
37 > but IMO mutt is the Gold Standard and is almost certaily doing what it's
38 > supposed to do.
41 Whatever you're using is breaking threading in Thunderbird and I can't
42 think of anyone else lately I've had the problem with. Also mutt has
43 broken threading in the past and even between different versions of
44 itself... so calling it a gold standard may be an overstatement.
45
46 kashani