From: John Blinka <john.blinka@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: sysrescue+new asus mobo+secure boot=0
Date: Wed, 12 May 2021 17:11:14
1 On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 10:22 AM Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, 12 May 2021 08:56:16 -0400, John Blinka wrote:
6 > > I’ve tried usb sticks with both Sysrescue and Ubuntu server to boot this
7 > > thing. It appears to attempt to boot each one, but then the screen goes
8 > > blank after 1-2 seconds, at which point I can’t tell what’s going on.
9 >
10 > This could possibly be KMS kicking in, try adding nomodeset to the boot
11 > options. While you're editing the boot options, you may as well remove
12 > any quiet or splash options too, so you can better see what is going on.
15 KMS… had to Google that. Not that I am fluent in this stuff
16 (understatement!) but how does one add nomodeset to boot options, or edit
17 boot options? The world I’m living in consists of downloading a bootable
18 Linux iso image, dd’ing it to a usb stick, then trying to boot my
19 recalcitrant Asus board from that. What you’re suggesting sounds to me
20 like rolling my own Gentoo usb boot stick. Is
21 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Install_Gentoo_on_a_bootable_USB_stick is the
22 place to go for that?
23
24 John