From: Michael Schmarck <michael.schmarck@×××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Is GWN dead?
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 20:10:40
1 · Galevsky <galevsky@×××××.com>:
2
3 > On Jan 11, 2008 8:08 PM, Michael Schmarck
4 > <michael.schmarck@×××××××××××××.de> wrote:
5 >> > GRML ? Knoppix ? other LiveCD ? What for, man ?
6 >>
7 >> Oh, quite easy - to install Gentoo. That way, the knowledge of experts
8 >> in creating live CDs is leveraged. NIH is not a good point of view, if
9 >> you ask me.
10 >>
11 >> > Using extra rescue
12 >> > systems is a liberty, of course, but why should it be a must ? I
13 >>
14 >> Easy - to make use of expert knowledge. To save resources, as that's
15 >> obviously a scarcity in Gentoo.
16 >
17 > Not sure that in the whole Gentoo community we cannot find someone not
18 > interested in dev stuff but okay to build CD releases...
19
20 Well, it seems that such a person could not be found, if you
21 take into consideration that the Install CD is somewhat old
22 by now.
23
24 > I can
25 > understand the understaffed argument, but in that case don't tell me
26 > that install CD is bad, tell me Gentoo has no resource for, but the
27 > debate is "does Gentoo need install CD or not ?".
28
29 Well, I do think, that a "suboptimal" install CD is indeed bad.
30 A non-existant install CD would be better, as far as I'm concerned.
31
32 >> > see no gain in downloading and burning one more system...
33 >>
34 >> Uhm? That doesn't make sense. Downloading GRML is no worse than
35 >> downloading a Gentoo Live CD.
36 >
37 > Yes it is. Portage is not included,
38
39 So? The portage tree isn't that big. Only 140m, or so.
40
41 > you depend on other systems that
42 > don't mind about Gentoo needs
43
44 They don't need to. They just "have to" provide a way to boot a system
45 and offer a way to chroot.
48 Michael Schmarck
49 --
50 Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish,
51 and he'll invite himself over for dinner.
52 -- Calvin Keegan
56 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list