From: Galevsky <galevsky@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Is GWN dead?
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 22:32:36
1 On Jan 11, 2008 8:08 PM, Michael Schmarck
2 <michael.schmarck@×××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3 > > GRML ? Knoppix ? other LiveCD ? What for, man ?
4 >
5 > Oh, quite easy - to install Gentoo. That way, the knowledge of experts
6 > in creating live CDs is leveraged. NIH is not a good point of view, if
7 > you ask me.
8 >
9 > > Using extra rescue
10 > > systems is a liberty, of course, but why should it be a must ? I
11 >
12 > Easy - to make use of expert knowledge. To save resources, as that's
13 > obviously a scarcity in Gentoo.
14
15 Not sure that in the whole Gentoo community we cannot find someone not
16 interested in dev stuff but okay to build CD releases... I can
17 understand the understaffed argument, but in that case don't tell me
18 that install CD is bad, tell me Gentoo has no resource for, but the
19 debate is "does Gentoo need install CD or not ?".
20
21 > > see no gain in downloading and burning one more system...
22 >
23 > Uhm? That doesn't make sense. Downloading GRML is no worse than
24 > downloading a Gentoo Live CD.
25
26 Yes it is. Portage is not included, you depend on other systems that
27 don't mind about Gentoo needs and could go on different way, and I
28 find very strange to have a 2.6.23 stable in Gentoo, but not necessary
29 on other liveCD at the same time, plus networkless installations... I
30 think it is very good -for any distro- to have an installCD that
31 brings a good system to not-connected machines. Just for them.
32
33 > > [...] I don't want to take care about
34 > > versions
35 >
36 > Me neither, but that's a dream.
37
38 I mean dealing with Gentoo components versions sounds sensible....
39 watching GRML/Knoppix/whatever website for a Gentoo install...surely
40 less.
41
42 > > So, of course, as far as
43 > > one of linux distro at least will provide a way to boot up an
44 > > up-to-date kernel, all the other distros won't have to maintain their
45 > > own releases, but in the end, I am not sure that the whole community
46 > > wants to launch the Windows Ubuntu installer, download the required
47 > > packages manager from the web and update the system from the good
48 > > repository.
49 >
50 > I don't get, what you were trying to say here.
51
52 I mean that one particular aspect of linux world that I love is
53 choice. I am very pleased to show different live CD to newbies and I
54 hope that all other distros won't have the same reasoning. Okay, GRML
55 does a nice job. But if a Gentoo user wants to spend time to build
56 liveCD, I see no reason not to let him release official iso ... and
57 propose a Gentoo alternative. Certainly not because guys are experts
58 in rescue systems at grml.org.
59
60 Gal'
61 --