From: Michael Schmarck <michael.schmarck@×××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Is GWN dead?
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 19:14:46
1 · Galevsky <galevsky@×××××.com>:
2 > On Jan 11, 2008 11:02 AM, Michael Schmarck
3 > <michael.schmarck@×××××××××××××.de> wrote:
4
5 [...]
6 >> As far as I'm concerned, the Gentoo install CD could easily be dropped
7 >> without a loss.
8 >>
9 >> Michael
10 >
11 > I'll try to make you understand it.....
12
13 After reading your reply, I've got to say that you failed.
14
15 > GRML ? Knoppix ? other LiveCD ? What for, man ?
16
17 Oh, quite easy - to install Gentoo. That way, the knowledge of experts
18 in creating live CDs is leveraged. NIH is not a good point of view, if
19 you ask me.
20
21 > Using extra rescue
22 > systems is a liberty, of course, but why should it be a must ? I
23
24 Easy - to make use of expert knowledge. To save resources, as that's
25 obviously a scarcity in Gentoo.
26
27 > always installed my gentoo from the current gentoo installCD since I
28
29 Fine. I never did that.
30
31 > see no gain in downloading and burning one more system...
32
33 Uhm? That doesn't make sense. Downloading GRML is no worse than
34 downloading a Gentoo Live CD.
35
36 > [...] I don't want to take care about
37 > versions
38
39 Me neither, but that's a dream.
40
41 > and news about other distros/rescue systems, since I am using
42 > Gentoo which provides me all I need to setup.
43
44 Fine for you. That's obviously not the case for Shaochun.
45
46 > So, of course, as far as
47 > one of linux distro at least will provide a way to boot up an
48 > up-to-date kernel, all the other distros won't have to maintain their
49 > own releases, but in the end, I am not sure that the whole community
50 > wants to launch the Windows Ubuntu installer, download the required
51 > packages manager from the web and update the system from the good
52 > repository.
53
54 I don't get, what you were trying to say here.
55
56 Michael Schmarck
57 --
58 Real programmers don't draw flowcharts. Flowcharts are, after all, the
59 illiterate's form of documentation. Cavemen drew flowcharts; look how
60 much good it did them.
64 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list