From: Galevsky <galevsky@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is GWN dead?
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 10:29:53
1 On Jan 11, 2008 11:02 AM, Michael Schmarck
2 <michael.schmarck@×××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3 > Shaochun Wang <scwang@××××××.cn> wrote:
4 >
5 > Well, actually, I never used a Gentoo install CD to install Gentoo. I
6 > also don't quite understand, why anyone would need such a beast. To
7 > install Gentoo, I'd boot my favorite "rescue system" (GRMl nowadays,
8 > Knoppix back then, but IMO Knoppix is too "fat" for *this* *task*)
9 > and install from there. No need for an install CD.
10 >
11 > As far as I'm concerned, the Gentoo install CD could easily be dropped
12 > without a loss.
13 >
14 > Michael
15
16 I'll try to make you understand it.....
17
18 GRML ? Knoppix ? other LiveCD ? What for, man ? Using extra rescue
19 systems is a liberty, of course, but why should it be a must ? I
20 always installed my gentoo from the current gentoo installCD since I
21 see no gain in downloading and burning one more system... when I have
22 a portage-inside one at disposal ! I don't want to take care about
23 versions and news about other distros/rescue systems, since I am using
24 Gentoo which provides me all I need to setup. So, of course, as far as
25 one of linux distro at least will provide a way to boot up an
26 up-to-date kernel, all the other distros won't have to maintain their
27 own releases, but in the end, I am not sure that the whole community
28 wants to launch the Windows Ubuntu installer, download the required
29 packages manager from the web and update the system from the good
30 repository.
31
32 Gal'
33 --