From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] from Firefox52: NO pure ALSA?, WAS: Firefox 49.0 & Youtube... Audio: No
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 12:16:20
1 On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 5:19 AM, Miroslav Rovis
2 <miro.rovis@××××××××××××××.hr> wrote:
3 >
4 > In my stron opinion, and opinions are allowed in Gentoo, just not
5 > imposing your opinion onto others (and that I am not doing, feel free
6 > to disagree!), pulseadio is spyware, read more here:
7 >
8 > Re: [Alsa-user] sans-pulseaudio Firefox? was: a strange thing
9 > https://www.mail-archive.com/alsa-user@×××××××××××××××××.net/msg31928.html
12 What exactly about Pulseaudio do you think makes it "spyware?" The
13 fact that it supports remote connections? I hope you're not using
14 X11...
15
16 Obviously you do need to use a secure configuration so that random
17 hosts aren't tapping your microphone, but it would be news to me if
18 this was allowed in the default configuration (and certainly a bug
19 that should be fixed on Gentoo).
20
21 I never bothered to migrate to pulseaudio for years, but started
22 having random issues when logging into multiple X11 sessions from
23 multiple users (probably a console permissions thing). Moving to
24 pulse fixed that, and was surprisingly simple. While many probably
25 don't need its features it makes a lot of sense to me...
28 Rich