From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] boots, but not on first try
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2015 07:57:27
1 On Thu, 06 Aug 2015 23:34:56 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
2
3 > I got ahead of things I suppose on the bootloader instructions, which
4 > include no example for Grub 0.97. I did emerge -s grub to identify the
5 > package name, then did 'emerge --ask sys-boot/grub-static' without
6 > first looking for any instructions, after which I somehow found
7 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB and its instruction saying
8 > 'sys-boot/grub:0'. Having already emerged sys-boot/grub-static without
9 > the :0 appendage, I punted instead of looking up meaning of :0, running
10 > 'emerge --ask sys-boot/grub-static:0'. That produced 4 beeps prior to
11 > emerge exit, which the previous emerge did not do. Next I set Grub up
12 > according to its man page: grub> find /boot/grub/stage1; grub> root
13 > (hd0,21); grub> setup (hd0,21), then adjusted grub.conf.
14
15 Didn't we cover this already? You have GRUB installed to boot your other
16 distros, all you need to do is add a stanza for Gentoo to your existing
17 menu.lst.
18
19 > Panicing grub.conf cmdline arguments:
20 > root=/dev/ram0 real_root=/dev/sda22 ipv6.disable=1 net.ifnames=0
21 > splash=0 video=1024x768@60 3
22 >
23 > Working grub.conf cmdline arguments:
24 > root=/dev/sda22 ipv6.disable=1 net.ifnames=0 splash=0 video=1024x768@60
25 > 3
26 >
27 > Why is root=/dev/ram0 real_root= in the sample/prototype?
28
29 That's for using an initrd, specifically the one produced by genkernel.
30 With no initrd you simply give the actual root device.
34 Neil Bothwick
35
36 Some people are born mediocre, some people achieve mediocrity, and some
37 people have mediocrity thrust upon them. - Joseph Heller, "Catch-22"