From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] external SSD problem
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 06:37:05
1 Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 >I just got one of these:
4 >
5 >http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208913
6 >
7 >It seems to work fine except that once I eject it in Thunar, I get
8 >this in dmesg:
9 >
10 >sd 8:0:0:0: [sdb] Synchronizing SCSI cache
11 >sd 8:0:0:0: Device offlined - not ready after error recovery
12 >
13 >The only way to get the /dev/sdb device back is to 'modprobe -r
14 >xhci_hcd && modprobe xhci_hcd'. I've tried two different USB3 cables.
15 > I have an external USB3 hard drive that works fine but /dev/sdb
16 >doesn't appear after ejecting the SSD unless I modprobe xhci_hcd.
17 >Should I file a kernel bug?
18 >
19 >- Grant
20
21 Grant.
22
23 Does it come back after unplugging and reconnecting it?
24 When you eject a device. The device needs to send a insertion notice for it to be rescanned.
25
26 Eject was originally designed for removable media in a drive (floppy/cd/dvd/...).
27
28 Usb stick and harddrives don't always send the newdiskinserted reply to an eject action.
29 There are some that do. I have examples of both at home.
32 Joost
33 --
34 Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.