From: Willie Matthews <matthews.willie@×××××.com>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: I am tired of this one.
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 20:42:36
1 On 08/02/12 13:09, Willie Matthews wrote:
2 > Hello everyone,
3 >
4 > I have been dealing with this problem for awhile now. I have two nVidia
5 > video cards, one is a PNY 8400 GS PCIe and the other is a 6150 LE built
6 > onto the board.
7 >
8 > Problem is I want to use the nVidia driver with my 8400 GS but when I do
9 > try to use it, it will just lock up the entire computer. Sometime I can
10 > ssh in and sometimes I can't. I don't have compiz or anything like that.
11 > I am using the xfce compositor.
12 >
13 > While I do get to use the card for about 30 seconds to a minute, I can't
14 > open the nVidia X Server Settings panel, display panel nor anything that
15 > has to do with flash in chrome.
16 >
17 > A couple of the things that I have noticed about the Xorg Log is that
18 > the 8400 GS is reported as having 512mb or video memory when I know it
19 > is only 256. The 6150 is reported as having 256 and I am not sure how
20 > much that one is using. I have a feeling it is shared.
21 >
22 > When I am using the 6150 LE and I have the 8400 GS in also. The nVidia X
23 > Server Setting also says the same amounts of video memory.
24 >
25 > I haven been using this install of Gentoo for years now. The only thing
26 > that has changed in that time that has to do with Video Cards is Cuda. I
27 > use to use it a little for experiments. All in all the 6150 doesn't
28 > support Cuda and the 8400 GS does.
29 >
30 > Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
31 >
32 I just learned about the command nvidia-smi.
33 8400 GS 256mb of ram
34 6150 LE has 64mb.
35
36 Either way X thinks that the 6150 has more than it really does and the
37 same goes for the 8400. Must not be the reason X is crashing on one and
38 not the other.
42 Willie Matthews
43 matthews.willie@×××××.com