From: Michael Sullivan <michael@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sound problems on catherine.espersunited.com
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 20:49:18
1 On Tue, 2006-05-02 at 06:52 +1200, Glenn Enright wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 02 May 2006 2:47 am, Michael Sullivan wrote:
3 > > The sound stopped working on my wife's computer about a week ago. I've
4 > > run every test I can think of and can't seem to track the problem
5 > > down. /etc/init.d/alsasound starts up fine. I can run alsamixer on her
6 > > computer just fine (on my computer, when ALSA isn't working I can't open
7 > > alsamixer); she has the volume control applet running on her panel, but
8 > > there simply is no sound.
9 >
10 > Its probably a bit off, but do you have a cat? Some get their whiskers in a
11 > twist about the nice clean continuous line that forms cabling. Check that any
12 > speaker cables and the plug in back of your comp hasn't been left dangling in
13 > the wind...
14
15 My wife has a cat that likes to make trouble like that, but I checked
16 the back of her PC and everything seems to be plugged in where it's
17 supposed to be. Still no sound. What confuses me is that it works
18 perfectly in Windows XP. My wife's monitor is one that has the speakers
19 built onto the monitor. She sometimes asks to borrow my headphones so
20 she can do her labs for French class without disturbing me. I can't
21 seem to find where she plugs the headphones in at, but I'll ask her when
22 she gets home. It can't hurt to try, right?
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list