From: Teresa and Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Module philosophy: Compile-in or Load
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 05:37:31
1 Anthony E. Caudel wrote:
2
3 >I was wondering what gentoo-users think and practice about kernel
4 >modules. Do most compile them in the kernel or load them at boot-up.
5 >
6 >Note that I'm _NOT_ talking about those modules that have to be compiled
7 >in such as for your filesystem. This is about the other ones.
8 >
9 >I generally like to load them at boot-up. One reason is that I have
10 >heard that for suspend or hibernate to work, some modules have to be
11 >unloaded.
12 >
13 >On the other hand, compiling them in results in faster boot times.
14 >
15 >So, what do gentoo-users think?
16 >
17 >Tony
22 Care to guess how much I like modules:
23
24 > root@smoker / # lsmod
25 > Module Size Used by
26 > nvidia 4551892 12
27 > root@smoker / #
30 I would have that one in there if I could. I never did like them.
31
32 Dale
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list