From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: What's up with the "hardened" USE flag?
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2011 21:48:28
1 On 07/05/2011 12:23 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Mon, 4 Jul 2011 16:57:55 +0200, Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
3 >
4 >>>> use --changed-use to avoid a rebuild
5 >>>> instead of --new-use like Neil suggested.
6 >>>
7 >>> This only works if you *permanently* switch to --changed-use, otherwise
8 >>> you'll just postpone things to next time you use --new-use.
9 >
10 > I haven't used --new-use for years. What's the point of rebuilding
11 > packages just because irrelevant USE flags have changed?
12 >
13 >> I know I am not a fan of --changed-use myself
14 >
15 > Why not? I see no downside to it but I'm willing to be educated.
16
17 Imagine this: A package is built by default with Gtk as well as with Qt
18 support. There is no USE flag which would omit building with one of
19 those. Then, the ebuild developer introduces those USE flags.
20 --changed-use will not catch this, so you will continue having both Gtk
21 and Qt support in the package, even though you're interested only in one
22 of them (Gnome vs KDE user, for example).
23
24 Or, imagine another scenario. A package offers multithreading support,
25 resulting in a huge speed-up on machines with more than one core or CPU.
26 But the ebuild configures and builds the package without
27 multithreading, and there's no USE flag. When the ebuild dev puts a USE
28 flag in there (and probably turns it on by default), --changed-use will
29 also not catch this, because it's not a USE flag that changed, but
30 instead a new one that wasn't there before. So you will continue
31 running the package in its slow built, missing out on the big
32 performance gain.
33
34 I guess this is why people don't use --changed-use. It won't catch
35 cases like the above.